Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent Part 2ish

Well here's the post I said I was planning when I wrote my last post. (Oh my, that's such an obvious statement. That's painful.) This is in fact my second and last advent post, yes, I did miss a week or two. Finals and midnight showings do that. But the other week I saw from my dad's Facebook post (don't question) that one week of advent was about joy. Ooh! I know about joy too! Or so I claim.

Right now I'm feeling something that feels a lot like joy. I've been doing a lot of walking on air recently with really no reason for it besides the fact that God's awfully awesome. I could give specific reasons; The Hobbit is fantastic, finals are done, the Hobbit was everything I dreamed it would be, I have freedom to actually do things, the Hobbit. But as much as I could say those are "because I'm awesome and I rocked finals" or "because Peter Jackson is a genius" they're really just because God is awfully awesome. He likes to overwhelm me every now and then.

I did actually have something slightly new to add to my view of joy though. On the list of my personality quirks (such a long list, we'll never get through it) is my inability to express things I love. If I really really want something it's going to be the one thing I can't get myself to ask for. If I really really love something no matter how hard I try I can never get across to anyone how much I love it (this can be frustrating, it's why I like talking to people who similarly love whatever it is.) So the few times a year when I'm really joyful and overwhelmed with the amazingness that is God I can't possibly get it across. You may see a lot of exclamation points and geeking out but believe me, it's not anywhere near what I'm actually feeling.

I like to think that's how God feels about us. His love is so enormous that we can't possibly grasp it, as much as we try to understand it our concept of God's love will always fall short of the reality. His blessings that we see in our every day life are just the tiniest bit of how he displays it. But right now, of all times, we can probably remember a little better just how much God loves us and his greatest attempt to show us. What a great reason for Christmas joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment