Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Perspective of a Homeschooler in College

I have noticed from my Facebook feed that I have an abundance of friends who are homeschoolers just heading off to college or preparing to head off into college. Being the resourceful and extroverted person that I am I see this as an opportunity waiting to be taken. Actually, it is many opportunities waiting to be taken.

1. I can easily share any tips I gather on making the transition from homeschooling to college easier.

2. Through possible comment sections I can maybe gather some tips myself.

3. I can vent my feelings to some possibly sympathetic parties.

There are probably other reasons but those are the ones that occur to me immediately. That's probably telling. ... May have to go look over those reasons again.

In the meantime I can give you my general honest opinion of my first two days of college classes.

My first day was Monday, Rachel and I arrived five minutes before I had to be at my first class, I may be guilty of some jay-walking. I found my first class and discovered that it wasn't exactly what I wanted to sign up for and the teacher wasn't exactly the best at explaining what he wanted from the class. However, when I say that my first class was my worst it's a surprisingly good thing; it wasn't so terrifying that I ran off and didn't want to continue with college. As much as I tend to be a pessimist I have to admit that the worst I have encountered wasn't actually bad. Score one for the optimists.

My second class was very encouraging, the teacher was friendly and humorous and the other students were now awake enough to start acknowledging my presence. Really it's probably a good thing no one tried to talk to me during my first class, apparently morning people are sensible enough to not talk to the general populace. I got a comment on my Perry the Platypus folder, I knew the Phineas and Ferb merchandise was a good idea.

My third and fifth classes are both computer classes and kind of go over my head but I still can't manage to not enjoy them. The teacher is quite likable and funny. It also helps that they're both subjects I'm genuinely interested to learn so putting forth effort to try to figure out html and flash animation and whatever other crazy things there are actually feels like it's worth it.

The fourth class is a music class and is probably my favorite. The teacher has some good stand-up comedy moments and the subject is extremely interesting to me. Also the students there are more involved and talkative, they're a very eclectic group.

Other than classes I have a brief break between the first and the second during which I have an extremely early lunch and read sociology and computer textbooks. To unwind between schoolbooks I read Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton because I'm an abnormal person like that. I also people-watch a lot and someday I'll be outgoing enough to start conversations with the people who look like they're not sprinting to a class late.

Speaking of sprinting I've done a lot of that this week. I looked at my schedule and said "ten minutes between each class?? That's just not possible!" So I watch the clock desperately during each class, getting ready to run as soon as a class is over. The result of my efforts is that I've been early for every class but the first. Apparently ten minutes between each class is enough, silly me.

2 comments:

  1. I once used inline skates to get to class. Disappointingly it wasn't faster but it made it seem like I was trying if I was late

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want a skateboard so I can be like Spiderman but I'd have to learn how to ride it first for it to be any use.

    ReplyDelete