Friday, April 5, 2013

A Long Expected Adventure

I had a bit of an unexpected journey today. I didn't go in search of any dragons but it was just as invigorating. Let me explain: it's been one of those awesome days where you just have to tell someone all about how awesome your day was. Unfortunately, you all are that someone.

Despite waking up with the usual feeling of "I'm either going to not go to school or take a nap later today" school went surprisingly well, involving (wonder of wonders) a successful group project, a postponed quiz, only 2 1/2 out of 4 classes and the best literature class I've been in yet. (Why? The teacher showed up late. The class kind of mutinied. He gave in. In a cheerful sort of way.) Besides that all of the usual suspect (and one unusual) showed up at our usual "hang out and plot world domination" spot (you know who you are) and I ran into an intriguing individual about campus who I've been meaning to meet for a while. (You also know who you are.) So school was awesome. And I just saw a car with a dragon on it go by. (I had a bottle of Mountain Dew. My attention span....)

Then I went home and Liz was cleaning the carpets so I decided it was a good excuse to go for a walk in the woods. And kind of got purposefully lost. I originally went looking for some birds who were making interesting noises. I never found the birds but I found unexplainably green trees, a flower garden in the middle of the woods, some very cool stonework and all of those other things that make getting lost in the woods worthwhile.

All of this is to say that at this point in the day, with writer's group to look forward to, can it really get any better?

Well the answer is yes, it can. On earth I'd never ask for more than this in an awesome day, in the middle of the school year this is as awesome as it gets and it's pretty great. But an exciting thing is to think about some, you know, really awesome days we have to look forward to in heaven. The nice thing is, this doesn't diminish the awesomeness of days here on earth. It kind of makes them better, just as the bad days on earth prepare you for things, maybe the good days on earth prepare us so we won't be overwhelmed with the awesomeness in heaven.

Who am I kidding? There's no comparison and that makes it even better!! But in the meantime I'll go back to enjoying the awesome days here in the most enthusiastic way possible.


"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we."
-G.K. Chesteron

No comments:

Post a Comment