Thursday, May 19, 2016

Sunny With a High of 75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9na42244ZU

If you don’t know the Relient K song, you should.

I realize some people may come to California for slightly warmer weather than that, but 70’s is perfect for me. I think it was just about the perfect day to go to the beach.

I realize I glossed over a day, so I’ll backtrack before we hit the beach. The last day of driving was spent driving through the rest of Utah, (surprisingly) Arizona, Nevada, and some California. We’re quite happily in Anaheim now.

We learned that yeah, everything out West is really big. Mostly really flat. But then suddenly you’re driving through a valley with mountains of monstrous size on either side. And there are cacti. Still haven’t seen any tumbleweeds though…

Today we went to Seal Beach to experience the Pacific Ocean. This was mostly because Nadia has come to the ocean with the goal of seeing seals. Also the internet claimed parking was free. (The internet lied, by the way.)

Despite my deathly fear of fish and other sea creatures, I do love swimming in the ocean. The water might have been a bit cold for the natives, but I think it was just about perfect. I led the charge into the ocean and unwisely just kind of stood there letting it pull me a little further in every time. It was all fun and games, but I did faceplant once or twice from some pretty big waves. I have a deep respect for surfers now.

Eventually I started to get cold (because my favorite water temperature is a little chilly so I can get out of swimming for forever) and sat on the beach to attempt to dry off. We had lunch, surprisingly unbothered by seagulls. At the end of lunch, Nadia pointed out a large shape in the water.

Nadia: “That’s a big piece of something in the water. Must be a log.”
Me: “Looks like it. Unless it’s… NADIA, IT’S A SEAL!!”



Nadia was one step ahead of me and already sprinting to get a better look at it. I followed with her phone and eventually handed it off to her because I was, once again, freezing. Eventually Nadia finished seal watching and we strolled along the pier. We had some extra time for parking (internet lied…) so we explored the touristy stuff and bought souvenirs. (I needed sunglasses anyway.)

We’ve discovered that we can walk to Disneyland/the surrounding parks from our hotel without too much effort. Our Disney expert tipped us off that Downtown Disney would be worth investigation. Needless to say, the Disney/Star Wars/Marvel nerds were pleased with the investigation. We found more souvenirs, and some excellent food as well. Personally, I acquired a Pascal – the chameleon from Tangled. Since I’ve been declared Rapunzel, I decided I needed Pascal in my life.



I ended up walking the trip from the hotel to Downtown Disney four times today, in addition to wandering around the Seal Beach area. More than a little tiring, but I am really starting to like Anaheim. It’s a friendly sort of city, and definitely very pretty.

Thanks to a tip from a California native, we got to watch the nightly Disney fireworks from the street in front of our hotel. Then I found a nice tree and had Nadia help me film a ukulele cover. Then I got stuck in a traffic jam picking Quincy up from his baseball game. We still had fun anyway.

So we’ve made it all the way here to California, what are we going to do now?


WE’RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND.

No comments:

Post a Comment