Friday, February 3, 2017

Alphabetical Music - Part 3

The continuation of my last few posts. I might eventually get through the whole alphabet. These posts are where you can come for music recommendations and for me unwinding by writing about music.

I'm writing this while watching TV with my little sisters and bonding with their cats, so I feel I'm a little out of it, but hopefully my commentary makes sense.


M



The Marvelous Toy - Peter, Paul and Mary
I blame Peter, Paul and Mary for my love of harmony. Also a lot of my love of folk music. This is an adorable little song and it also gave me fond memories of listening to it in the car with my dad and singing along.

N



Now and for Always - The Lord of the Rings Musical
This. Is. The best thing. That has ever happened to musical theater. It still hasn't made it to a US tour or anything not all the songs are perfect. But this one is, and it's even more important because, as much as I love the movies and will defend them to the end, this scene in the movie was never quite right. This version is.

O



On My Way Home - Pentatonix
I have an incredibly deep and long-standing love of this song. It's so gorgeous and I have a lot of great associations with it. If you check my ipod, I have listened to this song more than 140 times. Sonora and I did a cover of it on my Youtube. And basically just... Mitch in this song tho...

P



Polaroid - Imagine Dragons
Speaking of songs I have covered, I'm very proud of that one. This song is just the epitome of Imagine Dragons. I love that none of their songs sound like each other, they have a brand new sound every time. This song got my attention with its unique style, but the words are so beautiful too. Also somebody else made a video with it for me.

Q



Quiet - Matilda the Musical
Musical theater is often the best place to find incredibly relatable songs. Composers know what they're doing, they write about real people in ways that everyone can understand. This song from a fantastic musical perfectly described something that I never would have been able to explain myself. There's a certain wonderful kind of quiet that comes after being really upset. Also I might have sung this one.

R



Rise Again - Needtobreathe
Needtobreathe is probably my favorite still-touring band and this might be my favorite Needtobreathe song. Every time they release a new CD I assume it can't be as good as the last one, there's no way, but they haven't failed me yet. This CD, Rivers in the Wasteland, still might be my favorite. There's such a variety of music and a mix of really meaningful songs and really fun songs. This one is somewhere in between for me. Obviously the lyrics are fantastic, but the style just makes me so happy too.

S



Stereo Hearts - Gym Class Heroes ft. Adam Levine
I haven't really gone for putting really popular songs in these posts, aka songs you'd hear on the radio. But I adore this song. I have a soft spot for love songs about music and this is such a fun one. For a pop song, the lyrics are surprisingly clever.


One more post and we're finally done with this!

Edit: That one more post never happened. I need to write a new post, so here's a quick rundown of the rest. I had a plan. But I lost it. So we're going with what I found on the spot.

Tear in my Heart by Twenty one Pilots. For the line "My taste in music is your face."

Under Bridges by Brave Saint Saturn. If you haven't heard it, you need to.

the Voice by Celtic Woman. It's beautiful and haunting.

Warrior by Paradise Fears. You probably need to hear it and you didn't even know it.

X we'll get back to that one...

You Are My Hope by Skillet. Still one of my favorite praise songs.

And I don't even like the song, but I feel Zen and the Art of Xenophobia by Five Iron Frenzy needs an acknowledgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment